5.06.2009

To Boldly Go...

As I write this post, a brand new Star Trek movie has just hit the silver screen, reminding me of my roots and inspiring me to dream of a future - a better future, a Roddenberry-esque future. I grew up on a steady diet of Jean M. Auel's Earth's Children's series and Roddenberry's Star Trek. I can only begin to imagine how that has shaped my mind and world-view. Earth's Children takes place in a pre-historic ice age while Star Trek commences in the 24th century. Both emphasize equality across sexes and genders, both rely on adventuresome characters to captivate an audience as they examine humanity under trying circumstances. Truth and justice usually win the day, despite inevitable setbacks along the way.

As I consider my work in Anthropology and Gender Studies, I can see the influence of both narratives in my motives and passion for my work. I long for the ideal past of egalitarian hunter-gatherer societies (not unusual for an Anthropologist, take my word for it); I dream of a possible future of bold equality and intelligent, informed citizens populating the world. My research aims to help take us in the direction of such equality and integrity. My blog is set up to be my Captain's Log, should I choose to accept this mission (yes, I'm aware that's another movie - got a better line?).

What strange, new worlds will we encounter in our journeys? What ancient life-ways will we draw upon as we work to reshape our relationships with each other and our planet? Will I manage to continue posting my adventures in gender as I strive to contribute to the possibility of a better world, one free from discrimination based on sex, gender, sexuality, race, religion, nationality, or even what planet one comes from? A world where difference is celebrated and can thrive, strong and bold, as was Ayla in Earth's Children, as is Picard in Star Trek: The Next Generation, is a world worth working hard for, and I hope to contribute my fair share towards this goal. I hope you'll join me in this voyage. Keep learning, keep deconstructing, and don't let the mal-adapted humanoids around you keep you from reaching your full potential. They are full of memories of a worn-out past that will no longer suffice to propel our species forward successfully. Dare to boldly go where no one has gone before, into a bright new future of acceptance and understanding in an age of powerful technology that expands our horizons further every day.

I end this post in the most logical way possible: Live long and prosper. Peace and long life.

No comments:

Post a Comment